This sweet potato burger is fluffy, creamy and spicy all at once! A healthy option for a meatless Monday meal. It can be modified very easily, add some sautéed onions, guacamole or kimchi! SO many options! Whip these up and enjoy!
Yield: 4 ‘burgers’
- 2 whole sweet potatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of cannelloni beans
- 1 whole jalapeño
- 1/3 cup of panko bread crumbs (extra may be needed)
- 1/3 cup of flour ( I used all purpose, others will work too)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper chili flakes
- Olive oil
- 1 or 2 avocados
- 2/3 cup of greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- S & P to season yogurt sauce
- 4 bun options, I used ciabatta buns and pretzel buns. Kroger usually has a solid ‘bread sale’ section . So definitely hit that up!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Place garlic cloves in foil, drizzle with olive oil, roast for 10-12 minutes
- Cut jalapeño lengthwise , place in foil, drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with S & P. Roast 10-12 minutes
- Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork, microwave for 5 minutes. Flip and microwave for 5 more.Slice in half, let cool .
- Mash beans in a medium-sized bowl
- Add sweet potato mash, combine well
- Add S & P and other spices
- Mince the roasted 2 cloves of garlic and add to mixture
- Add egg, panko and flour
- Mix well, place in refrigerator for 15 minutes
– Add roasted minced garlic, s & p and a teaspoon of honey to the yogurt
– Mix well, place in refrigerator
- Slice roasted jalapeño, set aside
- Slice avocado
- Heat a large skillet and add 3 teaspoons of olive oil
- Form 4 equal sized patties with your hands, place in hot skillet
- Let them cook 5-6 minutes on each side, avoid lifting until browned, add extra oil if needed, it helps the process.
- Assemble burgers
- Place garlic cream on the base bun, then avocado, then the yummy sweet potato burger , more garlic cream, and finally the roasted jalapeños!